Monday, September 26, 2011


It was a very "hatfull" week here at Knitatation. I finished up my niece's
beret, and also made a little had for the neighbor's soon to be born
grandson. Joe's socks are perking along nicely also. No pictures yet.
We had a very busy week. Weekend was so wonderful we spent a lot
of time outdoors, so too tired to take pictures - next week for sure.

Martha finished up a lovely cowl for her niece.

This is yarn that Martha hand dyed when Ruth and I went
to visit a few years ago. Soft merino.

Ruth is working on a shawl that she said is slow going and
not picture worthy yet.

have a nice week - supposd to be warm, but the weather
is going to turn knitterly at the end of the week (aka COLD).

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Geee Wizzz It Feels Like Fall

Already! Yikes! How did it get here so fast!

I have done a little knitting this week. Finished up
the mittens to go with the Rhinebeck Ensemble:

Scalene is Ravelry purchase, and Textured Tam is
from 60 Quick Knits book.

Scalene and Tam are both knit in Brooklyn Tweed
yarn. I did not have enough left to make the
mittens, so the light gray is from Rhinebeck last year:
Greenwood Hill Farm - DK. I have a whole skein left,
and its oh so soft, so I hope to get some more this year.

I think I mentioned way back when I made Scalene, that
worsted weight is too thick for that scarf, even though the
directions had specs for it. I would love to do it again
in sock yarn, or sport weight.

The pattern for the top of the mitten (done in Shelter) comes
from the book ColorWork Stitches. It worked out perfect because the mitten had
40 stitches, and pattern was multiple of 10.

I can say I did not like carrying three yarns at
once, though.

But since it was only 7 rows, it worked out ok.

And since I have short hands and thumbs, I did not
follow the directions to decrease at tops. Top of
mitten I decreased like a hat (insert Jeannine
gasping here - LOL), so it would go faster, and did the
same on the thumb. I did kitchener 16 stitches at the
top of the mitten.

And for some reason the ribbing is a little loose, even
though I did it on needles two sizes smaller than base
(ribbing size 5, base size 7).

I have not used double pointed needles in a while, I usually
use two circs, so this was a little cumbersome. All in all
a win, I think!

I have three other things going at once.
Blue nice and soft. Working my way down the foot.
A hat for my niece, and socks for Joe.

The hat is a beret, and the socks have a little cable
going down the side. Hat and Joe's socks are my
brainless works in progress.

Ruth was on vacation last week and had too much
fun to sit and knit. Martha worked on dishcloths that
turned out nice, but not picture worthy.

Have a super knitful week - hope you are having
some outdoor weather that you can enjoy.


Sunday, September 11, 2011

Mish Mash

A Mish mash post

I finished up the Textured Tam hat from the 60 Quick Knits

Ravelers have said that the

hat was small so i added two repeats of rows 8-12 to make it
a little larger. Pictures w/a model next week. I'm really glad
I added the extra rows..made a very nice difference. Yarn
is Shelter, by Brooklyn Tweed. Size 7 Addi needles.

I am almost done with some matching mittens....

We have been getting ready for fall...Her is a HUGE batch
of sauce we made and froze from veggies from our garden.
Makes wonderful goulash in the winter.

a triple batch of salsa from the garden also.

Joe and I went away last weekend to Oneida Lake in
central NY. Here are a few pictures. Thankfully, the
weather cooperated.

Ruth's grand-nephew is wearing a sweater she made for
him a while ago. Check out how totally adorable this is:

(the baby is quite cute also!)

Martha has been working hard for a couple of weeks
on a blanket and sweater for her new grandniece:

Her own words:
The blanket was my pattern, sure wish I had those
blocking wires. I
tried to use up the rest of Emma's sweater yarn.
After I had it finished I found 1/2 a ball left, sigh.
I rationalized it as only
about an inch worth of knitting
because the blanket was so big. I
hope the final blocked
blanket will be about 4'x4'. I will let you

The sweater is from left over sock yarn. I used lots
of left overs
and the green and pink are of the same
wool, and the rest is
cotton/wool blens sock yarn.
I used the Scrappy Socky Stripey Cardigan Pattern
which was free on Ravelry and I copied it off the

website of fpea
I had never heard of
It has bsj look but easier and using up the sock
yarn, read
spend no money on yarn, appealed to me.
I got several almost finished reviews that is was
beautiful and no too funky for a baby. (not blue
or pink,
she'll be a cool chick). Now I have to block these out.

This week, Martha was also working on baby items - her words:

Here is the doggie. I have started the blanket and hope
it will be about 16-18 inches across. We shall see how far the yarn
goes. Maybe I will add some other contrasting color from my stash.
This doggie pattern is called Rover by Jennie Eveleigh Lamond printed
my 2009 Twist This pattern is cute as the dickens, but
pretty labor intensive and a lot of small parts to keep track of. I
added the "collar" as his neck was too small. I would cast on the
body with much larger needles in the future to create a bigger neck
opening and more support. As it is he will have the snoopy neck,
remeniscent of Todd and snoopy. I am glad to be bringing up the rear
on this project, and I did use a lot of sock yarn on the doggie and

Soooo cute.