Sunday, January 10, 2021

Will This Fit Into That

 I am bad with measurements of any kind.  Really bad.  Joe will say something was 100 yards away...I say that means nothing to me...tell me from here to where?  When the kids were still home, I would often ask Joey when talking about leftovers.."Will This Fit Into That"  because eyeballing it I often picked a dish too small or way too big.  Plus it got him to talk to me when he was a teenager....:)  So fast forward to  this current sock.  I told you last week my goal was to use up the yarn.  After using the pattern on the leg for 8", I decided to start the ribbing.  Each of the markers on the leg represents an  increase so I can make the 2nd sock the same.  See the little 6" tail of yarn..that is what's left.

This is the back of the sock. The ribbing turned out to be 4"..I didn't judge the amount of yarn left correctly (will this finish that)....so the ribbing is long, but it's ok because it's stretch to go over my fat muscular calves.


Here is the front.  I like the color changes. The sock is 20" long!


Close up of ribbing.  There is even pinky colors in here.  Tonight I want to start the 2nd sock, because it needs a little thinking. 

Using Dancing Leaf sock blank.  I wound the sock blank into a ball, then weighed it, and split into two balls.  I like it a lot!  This is the back....notice how the foot area is very blue.

Front - pattern is Double Eyelett.

I learned this new technique for casting on foot up socks which I love.  From Modern Daily knitting Wanderlust book.  Going to work on the sweater this week and try to get the sleeve done.

I found this size 6 circ needle , 16" at Walmart today.  For $3.98.  I'll let you know how they work out. The other sizes were too weird to try.


Ruth ripped the sweater she had almost done. The sizing was just way too off.  She already redid the sleeve due to poor directions. The pattern is not written well in my opinion, since she is a perfect sweater knitter.  

She started a sweater for a baby girl coming in the spring.

Pattern is Ruffled Baby Cardi by Anna Trofimenko. Yarn is Webs Valley Yarns super wash Merino. Color is Mauve


Martha finished her sweater!  So cute.  It's currently drying. In her own words:

I finally figured it was best to do the button band by following the directions! Three times is the charm! I also figured out how to do the math for the button holes which I usually do by some great eyeballing, swearing and by guess and by gosh.  It’s nice to just do it by math one time right!🙄 I’m very happy with the outcome of this sweater. I have yet to try it on with buttons that’s the real test.



I spent the time today making a felted mitten for a student. So far it’s felting and I think it’s going to be too big. I made it out of the rest of the red rag from the sweater.  I may make another one pair from another bunch of odds and ends so I can keep this yarn for msweater repair emergencies.  Just in case.    The ribbon won’t stay on it’s just to keep the holes open so I can knit a long cuff on it if it shrinks properly.


She still hasn't decided which pompom to use on her retiring co-workers hat.


Have a good week dear blog readers.  I hope to knit more this week.  This past week I was too tired for much of anything after work.

Stay safe and be kind.



1 comment:

karen said...

I tend to under estimate any measurements. And I have to constantly pull out the measuring tape to check. I use locking stitch markers so I know what is ten inches on one sleeve to relieve the constant measuring of the second sleeve.